Covid-19 Resources & Community
The rapid and unprecedented escalation of the Covid-19 crisis has caused enormous challenges for our industries.
The APDG would like to express our heartfelt sympathy to those whose working lives have been upturned. While we, of course, support all restrictions that will protect the health and well being of both our and the larger community, we also recognise that this is a difficult and destabilising time for many of our members. We are all together in this challenging time and we encourage people to reach out and share support where possible.
The ADPG will endeavour to keep members updated on any new information and are working to facilitate support networks and resources. For those whose work has been affected by the crisis we encourage you to visit MEAA, SPA and I Lost My Gig websites to tell your story. If you are experiencing a personal crisis, please call Lifeline Australia on 13 11 14 or see the resources below.
All links are provided to support our community. If you have suggestions for more, or feedback, please fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
Support & Community
If you need someone to talk with.
- Lifeline Australia – 13 11 14
- Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636
- Support Act: Delivering crisis relief services to artists, crew and workers specifically in the music industry.
- Arts Wellbeing Collective promotes positive mental health and wellbeing in the performing arts industry, with a range of resources available.
Find support in these online communities:
- Fresh Blood, APDG Young Designers Network: an established Facebook group dedicated to emerging designers and creatives. Feel free to connect and engage with your community here.
- Arts Tasker: a new Facebook group set up for work, skill and community sharing during COVID-19.
- Australian Arts amidst COVID-19: a place for Australian Arts workers to ask questions and share ideas about how to work with Covid-19.
Designer-focused business information:
- Support Act: Covid-19 freelance artist resources.
- Creative Plus Business (CPB): Wealth of resources for managing your creative business.
- “I Will Survive” by Creative Plus Business: a free webinar with doyenne Monica Davidson who will share ideas collected from the CPB team of creative business experts for making it through the next passage of time, as best you can. She’ll also offer free resources and tools to help you along the way.
- Marketable Skills from Professional Artists: Register your details to find employment using your skills. A website under development.
- Media Entertainment & Arts Alliance (MEAA): Response to Covid-19 with support materials.
- MEAA Statement to Members: A copy of the MEAA statement (23/03/2020) – although designers cannot be members, a lot of the principles are pertinent and give a good guide for acceptable processes.
- Live Performance Australia: Stay up to date on latest developments in the live performance industry.
- APDG Live Performance Standard Agreement for Designers: The APDG contract which should be seen as a reasonable industry standard. The cancellation clause is that the contractor should receive 50% of their fee or the next installment if the amount already paid is over 50%. It also stipulates that on cancellation all rights revert to the designer.
- APDG Resources: a range of resources for design professionals and students.
Government Information & Responses
- Australian Department of Social Services: Covid-19 information and support. Including information on Coronavirus Supplement, expanding eligibility and qualification for payments, economic support payments, crisis payments, isolation related temporary exemptions from mutual obligations, and more.
- Fact Sheet: Income support for individuals. Information on the new job-seeker rules and amounts.
- Australian Taxation Office: The ATO’s hub for Covid-19 support. Includes information on pausing PAYG and support if you are experiencing difficulties.
- Coronavirus business support: If you are a sole-trader or small-medium business in the creative sector – register for the Business Support Fund.
- Support package for workers impacted by Covid-19: If you are a creative who may have lost a job – consider registering for Working for Victoria.
- Renting and Covid-19 information: From the Tenants’ Union of NSW, with links for other states.
Keeping Busy, Creative & Healthy
- Adobe Creative Cloud: Get two months free during. Read more about how.
- Milke: Free online classes for independent artists and producers.
- Disney Imagineering in a Box: This example is Disney-focused but has short modules (all free) that articulate the important role of design, its many forms and practical activities to engage young designers.
- Coursera – The 3D Printing Revolution: Upskill with this free course.
- EDX – Basic 3D Animation using Blender: Upskill with this free course.
Rainy Day Reading & Activities
- Face Mask Making – For those with sewing skills (or those who want to learn). Make reusable DIY cloth masks with disposable middle layer filter.