APDG Dialogues in Design are back for 2021 with 8 new episodes! The APDG has an amazing line-up of outstanding APDG designers, who share their experience and expertise.
In 2020, APDG Social Media Manager Vanessa Loh and APDG Online Manager Daniel Willis produced an exciting new series of interviews, APDG Dialogues in Design. In 2021, it returns with Matt Putland APDG coordinating. If you would like to be involved in season 3, please CONTACT US.
Season 2: the 2021 recordings
1. APDG Dialogues in Design featuring the art of “Lifeblood” and “Mini Beasts”
Dialogues in Design returns for 2021, with episode one featuring Nicholas Tory, Jonathan Nix, Oliver Abbott, Steve Crossley, Leah Benson and Blake Garner. They discuss the APDG Award nominated animated short film Lifeblood and touring interactive public art installation Mini Beasts.
2. APDG Dialogues in Design featuring the art of “Hungry Ghosts”
Episode two was hosted by Fiona Donovan APDG, and features production designer Carrie Kennedy APDG and hair and make-up designer John Logue – who discuss their work on the television series Hungry Ghosts.
3. APDG Dialogues in Design with Kim Buddee APDG
APDG committee member, production designer and lecturer in film studies Bob Hill, interviews designer Kim Buddee APDG. Kim Buddee APDG has a vast array of skills, talents and experience. Not only in production design and art direction for film, television and commercials, but also as an architect, musician and author.
4. APDG Dialogues in Design: Expanding the Possible with Anna Tregloan APDG
Designer and writer for APDGreen Imogen Ross, interviews designer Anna Tregloan APDG, discussing her pathway to becoming not only an award-winning production designer but also a director, writer, creative producer and curator of original work.
5. APDG Dialogues in Design: Boy Swallows Universe
Lighting designer Ben Hughes APDG is joined by designer Renée Mulder and video designer and Craig Wilkinson to discuss their process of bringing the critically acclaimed novel by Trent Dalton to the stage. Renée and Craig have been nominated for APDG awards this year.
6. APDG Dialogues in Design: The Art of “2067”
Production designer Jacinta Leong APDG, art director Gareth Wilkes and set decorator Jonathon Hyde-Neary, discuss their process on creating the Australian sci-fi feature film “2067”.
7. APDG Dialogues in Design with Costume Designer, Cappi Ireland
Film and Television Costume Designer Cappi Ireland, talks with Fiona Donovan APDG. Cappi has an extensive career from productions such as Love Me, Fires, New Gold Mountain, Mortal Kombat and The Dry.
8. APDG Dialogues in Design: The Language of Mixed Media
Ara Nuri Steel and APDG Emerging Co-Chair Courtney Westbrook co-founded Sydney based film studio, ARACOURT. They discuss their work in stop motion animation and live action.
Season 1: the 2020 recordings
1. Dialogue in Design with Production Designer Owen Paterson APDG
The first Dialogues In Design featured Owen Paterson APDG, who spoke with Scott Bird APDG about his journey as a production designer from his humble beginnings in Perth to now working on some major Hollywood blockbusters.
2. Dialogue in Design featuring the art of The Invisible Man with Production Designer Alex Holmes and Set Decorator Katie Sharrock
Episode two was a fantastic presentation by the design team behind The Invisible Man, Alex Holmes, Katie Sharrock and Alice Lanagan. They discussed collaboration, locations and the magic of creating a world where something that isn’t visible, still exists.
3. Dialogue in Design with Costume Designer Xanthe Heubel
In episode three, Fiona Donovan APDG interviewed Xanthe Heubel (Lambs of God, The Commons) about all things costume design.
4. Dialogue in Design with Production Designer Fiona Crombie
Episode four, Dr Julie Lynch APDG interviewed Fiona Crombie Production Designer (The Favourite and Snowtown).
5. Dialogue in Design with Supervising Art Director Ian Gracie APDG
Episode five, Tim Ferrier APDG spoke to Ian Gracie, Supervising Art Director (The Great Gatsby, Peter Rabbit, Alien: Covenant, Gods of Egypt).
6. Dialogue in Design featuring the Art of The Luminaries with Production Designer Felicity Abbott APDG and Set Decorator Daniel Birt
Episode six was with Production Designer, Felicity Abbott (Ladies In Black) and Set Decorator, Daniel Birt (Assistant Set Decorator on Ghost in the Shell) will give us insight into their work on The Luminaries.
7. Dialogue in Design featuring the Art of Relic with Production Designer Steven Jones-Evans APDG, Art Director Loretta Cosgrove and Set Decorator Vanessa Cerne
Episode seven features the art from the Stan film Relic. Production Designer Steven Jones-Evans APDG, Art Director Loretta Cosgrove and Set Decorator Vanessa Cerne discuss their process on the film.
8. Dialogue in Design featuring the Art of Alien Covenant with Art Director Damien Drew APDG and Assistant Set Decorator Katie Sharrock
Episode eight features the art from international blockbuster Alien: Covenant. Art Director Damien Drew APDG and Set Decorator Katie Sharrock discuss their process on the film.
9. Dialogue in Design with Jacob Nash and Jennifer Irwin APDG
In Episode nine, Anna Cordingley APDG interviews production designer Jacob Nash and costume designer Jennifer Irwin APDG as they reflect up their long-term collaboration. Jacob and Jennifer constitute the award-winning design team for Bangarra Dance Theatre, one of Australia’s most celebrated Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander performing arts companies.