Thank you for your interest in entering the 2018 Australian Production Design Guild Awards. The information below will assist in answering your questions and ensure your Entry Application is successful.
- WORK submitted to the Awards must have been broadcast, screened or performed for the first time in the Australian financial year beginning 1st July 2017 and ending 30th June 2018.
- There will be an exception to the duration period for the new categories introduced this year: Excellence in live performance – Acknowledging Excellence in Design and Practice on international productions or artisan excellence on Australian or international productions & Excellence in screen – Acknowledging Excellence in Design and Practice on international productions or artisan excellence on Australian or international productions.
Eligibility to enter these 2 new categories is 2 years, with screening or performance for the first time beginning i.e.1st July 2016 and ending 30th June 2018.
- ENTRANTS must be FULL or CONCESSION members of the APDG upon entry unless they are entering the Design for an interactive or experiential game category.
- FRIEND members may not enter the awards but are able to purchase a BUSINESS NAME ON TROPHY option if they are the producers or owners of copyright in a WORK that is being entered by a FULL member.
- ENTRANTS may enter more than one WORK in the Awards. A separate ENTRY PACKAGE must be submitted for each entry.
- The same WORK may not be submitted twice in any category except for a second time in the ‘Drawing, concept illustration and concept models for screen, events, interactive exhibition and live performance’ Award if artwork is a big part of the WORK.
- ENTRANTS may enter as many of the above 29 categories as they like.
- The most senior head of a department should act as the ENTRANT where there is a DESIGN TEAM involved.
- Serving on APDG boards, panels or committees does not restrict entry.
THE ENTERING PROCESS
An application form must be filled out and an entry fee paid for each category that is entered.
Step 1 Fill in the online application form found here
Step 2 Create and share an ENTRY PACKAGE to firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3 Pay the Awards entry fee relevant to your entry
STEP 1: THE APPLICATION FORM
The application form should take 5-10 minutes to complete and can be saved and closed at any time. The ENTRANT should have the following information to complete the form:
- The ENTRANT’S APDG membership status
- The COMPANY NAME of the FRIEND member if the BUSINESS NAME ON TROPHY OPTION is desired (optional)
- The Award category being entered
- The name of the WORK
- The contact details of the ENTRANT
- The names, roles and contact details of the DESIGN TEAM (optional)
- The entry ENTRY PACKAGE
- A means of sharing the ENTRY PACKAGE with APDG
- Authorisation for the APDG to publish the CLIP and STILL
- The payment method
STEP 2: CREATE AND SHARE AN ENTRY PACKAGE
Provided the ENTRANT already has the files they wish to enter, sharing the ENTRY PACKAGE should take anywhere between 10-60 minutes. This includes curating the WORK you wish to submit, relabelling the files and uploading the files to Dropbox or Vimeo. An ENTRY PACKAGE consists of three components:
- The CLIP to be screened at the APDG Awards ceremony
- The STILL to be used to represent the WORK in the media
- The WORK to be judged
A completed ENTRY PACKAGE, when curated, labelled and shared with email@example.com, looks like the example below. The accepted file types and how to label them for submission is explained on the following pages.
ENTRY PACKAGE COMPONENTS
1. The WORK
The project to be judged. It may be submitted as any one of the following combinations:
- The entire WORK, or a portion of it. Where there are multiple episodes or parts to a WORK, two episodes or two parts are sufficient per entry.
Note: Please indicate the relevant section of the video(s) to be judged with IN and OUT points.
- 6-10 photos and/or 2-3 illustrations that demonstrate the design or design process involved in creating the WORK. These are to be submitted as separately labelled jpgs.
- Up to 500 words outlining the design process involved in creating the WORK.
- In the case of projects where there is no video component a set of up to 30 high resolution production stills and/or images that demonstrate the design processcan be submitted. These are to be submitted as separately labelled jpgs.
- Links to high resolution video recordings may be included, such as YouTube, Vimeo etc
NOTE: The APDG does not accept merged pdfs of images OR PowerPoint files.
2. The CLIP
The CLIP should be a portion of the WORK that illustrates and promotes the design talents of the ENTRANT and the DESIGN TEAM. If the WORK is shortlisted, the CLIP will represent the WORK at the APDG Awards ceremony and on the APDG website. It is not judged.
- The CLIP should be a 20-25 second movie or a compilation of up to 10 stills.
- The CLIP may be supplied with or without a soundtrack but if it is supplied without a soundtrack the APDG will add music at its discretion.
For instructions on how to compile images into a CLIP please see here.
3. The STILL
The STILL should be a JPEG image (minimum of 2000 pixels wide) from the WORK that illustrates and promotes the design talents of the ENTRANT and the DESIGN TEAM. The STILL will represent the WORK at the APDG Awards ceremony, on APDG Awards related websites and in media coverage.
File Labelling Instructions
The Folder [Award category]_[Entrant’s name]
CLIP [Award category]_CLIP_[Title of the WORK]_[Entrant’s name]
STILL [Award category]_STILL_[Title of the WORK]_[Entrants name]
WORK File 1 [Award category]_[WORK]_[Title of WORK]_[Entrant’s name]_Movie.mov
WORK File 2 [Award category]_[WORK]_[Title of WORK]_[Entrant’s name]_Image1.jpeg
WORK File 3 [Award category]_[WORK]_[Title of WORK]_[Entrant’s name]_Image2.jpeg
WORK File 4 [Award category]_[WORK]_[Title of WORK]_[Entrant’s name]_Text.docx
The [Award category] can be abbreviated to an acronym of its name.
- Animation Design on a short film, commercial or series – ADSFCS
- Costume Design for a feature film – CDFF
- Costume Design for a live performance – CDLP
- Costume Design for a television production – CDTP
- Costume Design on a web series – CDWS
- Design for a commercial – DC
- Design for an interactive or experiential game – DIEG
- Design for a live event – DLE
- Design for a live performance – DLP
- Design for a short film or music clip – DSFMC
- Drawing, concept illustration and concept models for screen, events, interactive exhibition and live performance – DCI
- Excellence in live performance – Acknowledging Excellence in Design and Practice on international productions – ELP
- Excellence in screen – Acknowledging Excellence in Design and Practice on international productions – ES
- Lighting Design for live performance – LDLP
- Make-up & Hair Design for a film – MHDFF
- Make-up & Hair Design for a television production – MHDTP
- Make-up, Hair & Prosthetic Make-up Design for a live performance – MHPMLP
- Production Design for a feature film – PDFF
- Production Design for a television drama – PDTD
- Production Design for a television production – PDTP
- Production Design for a web series – PDWS
- Prosthetic Make-up Design for a screen production – PMDSP
- Set Decoration for a feature film – SDFF
- Set Decoration for television – SDT
- Set Design for a live performance – SDLP
- Student or emerging Designer for live performance – Set, Costume or Lighting Design– SDLP
- Student or emerging Designer for screen – Animation, Costume, Production or VFX Design – SDS
- Title Design – TD
- Visual Effects Design for a screen production – VEDSP
Sharing the ENTRY PACKAGE
The ENTRANT may choose to share the ENTRY PACKAGE in 1 of 2 ways. Please include any relevant passwords.
- Shared via Dropbox Link to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vimeo download link (ensure it is set to download until December 20 2018) to email@example.com
If you are having difficulties sharing the ENTRY PACKAGE please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an alternate delivery method.
STEP 3: PAY THE RELEVANT FEE
FULL members pay $50 per category entered. (Waived if the BUSINESS NAME ON TROPHY option is purchased by a FRIEND member).
CONCESSION members pay $25 per category entered.
FRIEND members pay $200 to purchase the BUSINESS NAME ON TROPHY OPTION per category entered by an ENTRANT.
Entrants with NO membership pay $50 to enter the Design for an interactive or experiential game category and are not eligible to enter any other category.
Payment of the entry fee/s can be made via Bank Transfer or by secure online payment embedded in the application form. Please identify your payment with the name of the ENTRANT.
Bank: St George Bank
Name: Australian Production Design Guild
Number: 465 792 765
Secure Online Payment
Please process your payment using the application form instructions.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
ENTRANTS receive and own the APDG trophy if they win unless the BUSINESS NAME ON TROPHY OPTION is purchased by the production company or owners of copyright in the WORK. The BUSINESS NAME ON TROPHY OPTION can only be purchased by FRIEND members of the APDG.
ENTRANTS will need to be able to authorise, or attach a letter of authorisation from the relevant authority, to permit the APDG to:
- Air the supplied CLIP and STILL at the APDG Awards event.
- Choose music to accompany the supplied CLIP if no soundtrack is attached.
- Publish the supplied CLIP and STILL on all APDG Awards related materials and websites.
- Distribute the supplied STILL to media reporting on the APDG Awards.
The APDG directors reserve the right not to present an award in any category.
Decisions made by the APDG directors regarding the Awards are final.
There shall only be one winning ENTRANT in each category.
The shortlisted DESIGN TEAM will have their name and role listed on the APDG website.
The winning DESIGN TEAM will have their name mentioned at the awards event as well as being listed on the awards program and APDG website.