Thank you for your interest in entering the 2018 Australian Production Design Guild Awards. The information below will assist in answering your questions and ensure your Entry Application is successful.
ABOUT THE AWARDS
The APDG Awards is an annual event that gathers together professionals from the Australian film, television, stage and interactive multimedia industries, to celebrate the art of visually captivating audiences the world over.
The awards recognise outstanding achievements and excellence in design for works that have been broadcast, screened or performed for the first time in the Australian financial year beginning 1st July 2017 and ending 30th June 2018.
ENTRANTS can apply to enter the following categories:
- Costume Design for a Feature Film
- Costume Design for a Television Production
- Costume Design for a Live Performance
- Design for a Commercial
- Design for a Short Film or Music Clip (costume, production or visual effects design)
- Design for an Animated Short Film, Commercial or Series
- Design on a Live Event
- Drawing and Concept Illustration
- Interactive Design for a Web Series, Virtual Reality or Game
- Lighting Design for Live Performance
- Make-Up, Hair and Prosthetic Make-Up Design
- Production Design for a Feature Film
- Production Design for a Web Series or Television Drama
- Production Design for a Web Series or Television Production
- Set Decoration for a Feature Film
- Set Design for a Live Performance
- Title Design
- Visual Effects Design
- Student Screen Design (production, costume, interactive or animation design)
- Emerging Designer for Live Performance (set, costume or lighting)
- Set Decoration for a Television Production
The APDG also presents another three awards at the discretion of the Judging Committee. These awards cannot be entered.
- Lifetime Achievement Artisan Award for Live Performance
- Lifetime Achievement Artisan Award for Screen
- Outstanding Contribution to Design
Entries open mid 2018.
An Awards ceremony will be held late 2018.
- WORK submitted to the 2018 Awards must have been broadcast, screened or performed for the first time in the Australian financial year beginning 1st July 2017 and ending 30th June 2018.
- ENTRANTS must be FULL or CONCESSION members of the APDG upon entry.
- ENTRANTS may enter more than one WORK in the Awards. A separate ENTRY PACKAGE must be submitted for each entry.
- The same WORK may not be submitted twice in any category except for a second time in the Drawing and Concept Illustration Award if artwork is a big part of the WORK.
- The most senior head of a department should act as the ENTRANT where there is a DESIGN TEAM involved.
- Serving on APDG boards, panels or committees does not restrict entry.
THE ENTERING PROCESS
ENTRANTS may enter as many of the above 20 categories as they like. An application form must be filled out and an entry fee paid for each category that is entered.
Step 1 Fill in the online form (CLOSED till mid 2018)
Step 2 Create and share an ENTRY PACKAGE to firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3 Pay the Awards entry fee relevant to your entry
Entering the Awards is only available to APDG members. Please click here for more information on membership options.
STEP 1: THE APPLICATION FORM
The application form should take 5-10 minutes to complete and can be saved and closed at any time. The ENTRANT should have the following information to complete the form:
- The ENTRANT’S APDG membership status
- The COMPANY NAME of the FRIEND member if the BUSINESS NAME ON TROPHY OPTION is desired (optional)
- The Award category being entered
- The name of the WORK
- The contact details of the ENTRANT
- The names of the DESIGN TEAM (optional)
- The method of sharing the ENTRY PACKAGE
- The payment method
- Authorisation for the APDG to publish the CLIP and STILL
STEP 2: CREATE AND UPLOAD AN ENTRY PACKAGE
Provided the ENTRANT already has the files they wish to enter, uploading the ENTRY PACKAGE should take anywhere between 10-60 minutes. This includes curating the WORK you wish to submit, relabelling the files, uploading the WORK, CLIP and STILL to the online form (or sharing the video components of the WORK via Dropbox). An ENTRY PACKAGE consists of three components:
- The CLIP to be screened at the APDG Awards ceremony
- The STILL to be used to represent the WORK in the media
- The WORK to be judged
A completed ENTRY PACKAGE, when curated, labelled and shared with email@example.com, looks like the example below. The accepted file types and how to label them for submission is explained below.
The project to be judged. It may be submitted as any one of the following combinations:
- The entire WORK, or a portion of it. Where there are multiple episodes or parts to a WORK, two episodes or two parts are sufficient per entry.
Note: Please indicate the relevant section of the video(s) to be judged with IN and OUT points.
- 6-10 photos and/or 2-3 illustrations that demonstrate the design or design process involved in creating the WORK. These are to be submitted as separately labelled jpgs.
- Up to 500 words outlining the design process involved in creating the WORK.
- In the case of projects where there is no video component a set of up to 30 high resolution production stills and/or images that demonstrate the design process can be submitted. These should be 15 images that demonstrate the design process and 15 images that demonstrate the production process and should be submitted as separately labelled jpgs.
- Links to high resolution video recordings may be included, such as YouTube, Vimeo etc
NOTE: The APDG does not accept merged pdfs of images OR PowerPoint files.
The CLIP should be a portion of the WORK that illustrates and promotes the design talents of the ENTRANT and the DESIGN TEAM. If the WORK is shortlisted, the CLIP will represent the WORK at the APDG Awards ceremony and on the APDG website. It is not judged.
- The CLIP should be a 20-25 second movie or compilation of up to 10 stills.
- The CLIP may be supplied with or without a soundtrack but if it is supplied without a soundtrack the APDG will add music at its discretion.
For instructions on how to compile images into a CLIP please see here.
The STILL should be a JPEG image (300 dpi – 900 pixels wide) from the WORK that illustrates and promotes the design talents of the ENTRANT and the DESIGN TEAM. The STILL will represent the WORK at the APDG Awards ceremony, on APDG Awards related websites and in media coverage.
File Labelling Instructions
The Folder [Award category]_[Entrant’s name]
CLIP [Award category]_CLIP_[Title of the WORK]_[Entrant’s name]
STILL [Award category]_STILL_[Title of the WORK]_[Entrants name]
WORK File 1[Award category]_[WORK]_[Title of WORK]_[Entrant’s name]_Movie.mov
WORK File 2 [Award category]_[WORK]_[Title of WORK]_[Entrant’s name]_Image1.jpeg
WORK File 3[Award category]_[WORK]_[Title of WORK]_[Entrant’s name]_Image2.jpeg
WORK File 4 [Award category]_[WORK]_[Title of WORK]_[Entrant’s name]_Text.docx
UPLOADING the ENTRY PACKAGE
The ENTRANT should upload all files to the entry form. If the video component of the WORK and CLIP are not accessible via Vimeo or YouTube, the ENTRANT may share these files via Dropbox to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are having difficulties sharing the ENTRY PACKAGE please email email@example.com to arrange an alternate delivery method.
STEP 3: PAY THE RELEVANT FEE
- FULL members pay $50 per category entered. (Waived if the BUSINESS NAME ON TROPHY OPTION is purchased).
- FRIEND members pay $200 to purchase the BUSINESS NAME ON TROPHY OPTION per ENTRANT.
- CONCESSION members may enter the Student Screen Design or Emerging Designer for Live Performance categories for FREE.
Payment of the entry fee/s can be made via Bank Transfer or the PayPal link embedded in the application form. Please identify your payment with the name of the ENTRANT.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
ENTRANTS receive and own the APDG trophy if they win unless the BUSINESS NAME ON TROPHY OPTION is purchased by the production company or owners of copyright in the WORK. The BUSINESS NAME ON TROPHY OPTION can only be purchased by FRIEND members of the APDG.
ENTRANTS will need to be able to authorise, or attach a letter of authorisation from the relevant authority, to permit the APDG to:
- Air the supplied CLIP and STILL at the APDG Awards event.
- Choose music to accompany the supplied CLIP if no soundtrack is attached.
- Publish the supplied CLIP and STILL on all APDG Awards related materials and websites.
- Distribute the supplied STILL to media reporting on the APDG Awards.
The APDG directors reserve the right not to present an award in any category.
Decisions made by the APDG directors regarding the Awards are final.