Thank you for your interest in entering the 2019 Australian Production Design Guild Awards. The information below will assist in answering your questions and ensure your Entry Application is successful.
Entries are open from Monday 15 July until Sunday 4 August. Recently, an extension has been granted by the committee to allow those designers still waiting on approval and content from studios and producers time to enter the Awards. Entries now close on Sunday 18 August.
STEP 1: THE APPLICATION FORM
The application form should take 5-10 minutes to complete and can be saved and closed at any time. The ENTRANT should have the following information to complete the form:
- The ENTRANT’S APDG membership status
- The COMPANY NAME of the FRIEND member if the BUSINESS NAME ON TROPHY OPTION is desired (optional)
- The Award category being entered
- The name of the WORK
- The contact details of the ENTRANT
- The names, roles and contact details of the DESIGN TEAM (optional)
- The ENTRY PACKAGE
- A means of sharing the ENTRY PACKAGE with APDG
- Authorisation for the APDG to publish the CLIP and STILL
- The payment method
STEP 2: CREATE AND SHARE AN ENTRY PACKAGE
Provided the ENTRANT already has the files they wish to enter, sharing the ENTRY PACKAGE should take anywhere between 10-60 minutes. This includes curating the WORK you wish to submit, relabelling the files and uploading the files to Dropbox or Vimeo. An ENTRY PACKAGE consists of three components:
- The CLIP to be screened at the APDG Awards ceremony
- The STILL to be used to represent the WORK in the media
- The WORK to be judged
A completed ENTRY PACKAGE, when curated, labelled and shared with email@example.com, looks like the example below. The accepted file types and how to label them for submission is explained on the following pages.
ENTRY PACKAGE COMPONENTS
1. The WORK
The project to be judged. It may be submitted as any one of the following combinations:
- The entire WORK, or a portion of it. Where there are multiple episodes or parts to a WORK, two episodes or two parts are sufficient per entry.
Note: Please indicate the relevant section of the video(s) to be judged with IN and OUT points.
- 6-10 photos and/or 2-3 illustrations that demonstrate the design or design process involved in creating the WORK. These are to be submitted as separately labelled jpgs.
- Up to 500 words outlining the design process involved in creating the WORK.
- In the case of projects where there is no video component a set of up to 30 high resolution production stills and/or images that demonstrate the design processcan be submitted. These are to be submitted as separately labelled jpgs.
- Links to high resolution video recordings may be included, such as YouTube, Vimeo etc
NOTE: The APDG does not accept merged pdfs of images OR PowerPoint files.
2. The CLIP
The CLIP should be a portion of the WORK that illustrates and promotes the design talents of the ENTRANT and the DESIGN TEAM. If the WORK is shortlisted, the CLIP will represent the WORK at the APDG Awards ceremony and on the APDG website. It is not judged.
- The CLIP should be a 20-25 second movie or a compilation of up to 10 stills.
- The CLIP may be supplied with or without a soundtrack but if it is supplied without a soundtrack the APDG will add music at its discretion.
For instructions on how to compile images into a CLIP please see here.
3. The STILL
The STILL should be a JPEG image (minimum of 2000 pixels wide) from the WORK that illustrates and promotes the design talents of the ENTRANT and the DESIGN TEAM. The STILL will represent the WORK at the APDG Awards ceremony, on APDG Awards related websites and in media coverage.
File Labelling Instructions
The Folder [Award category]_[Entrant’s name]
CLIP [Award category]_CLIP_[Title of the WORK]_[Entrant’s name]
STILL [Award category]_STILL_[Title of the WORK]_[Entrants name]
WORK File 1 [Award category]_[WORK]_[Title of WORK]_[Entrant’s name]_Movie.mov
WORK File 2 [Award category]_[WORK]_[Title of WORK]_[Entrant’s name]_Image1.jpeg
WORK File 3 [Award category]_[WORK]_[Title of WORK]_[Entrant’s name]_Image2.jpeg
WORK File 4 [Award category]_[WORK]_[Title of WORK]_[Entrant’s name]_Text.docx
The [Award category] can be abbreviated to an acronym of its name.
- Animation Design for screen – ADC
- Costume Design for a feature film – CDFF
- Costume Design for a live performance – CDLP
- Costume Design for a television production – CDTP
- Costume Design on a web series – CDWS
- Design for a commercial – DC
- Design for a live event – DLE
- Design for a live performance – DLP
- Design for a short film or music clip – DSFMC
- Design for an interactive or experiential game – DIEG
- Concept Design: drawing, concept illustration and concept models for screen, events, interactive exhibition and live performance – CD
- Emerging Designer for live performance: for student or emerging set, costume or lighting Design – EDLP
- Emerging Designer for screen: for student or emerging animation, costume, production or VFX Design – EDS
- Lighting Design for a live performance – LDLP
- Make-up and Hair Design: for film television or live performance – MHD
- Production Design for a feature film – PDFF
- Production Design for a television drama – PDTD
- Production Design for a television production – PDTP
- Production Design for a web series – PDWS
- Set Decoration: for a feature film or television – SD
- Set Design for a live performance – SDLP
- Title Design – TD
- Visual Effects or Video Design: for a live performance or screen –VEVD
Sharing the ENTRY PACKAGE
The ENTRANT may choose to share the ENTRY PACKAGE in 1 of 2 ways. Please include any relevant passwords.
- Shared via Dropbox Link to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vimeo download link (ensure it is set to download until December 20 2018) to email@example.com
If you are having difficulties sharing the ENTRY PACKAGE please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an alternate delivery method.
STEP 3: PAY THE ENTRY FEE
EARLY BIRD PRICES
Monday 15 July – Sunday 28 July
Monday 29 July – Sunday 4 August
Payment of the entry fee/s can be made via Bank Transfer or by secure online payment embedded in the application form. Please identify your payment with the name of the ENTRANT.
Bank: St George Bank
Name: Australian Production Design Guild
Number: 465 792 765
Secure Online Payment
Please process your payment using the application form instructions.